Hate Crime

Hate crime is any incident committed against a person or property that is motivated by malice or ill-will towards people because of their sexual orientation, transgender identity, disability, race, or religion.

Hate crimes and incidents can include (but are not limited to) physical assault, obscene calls or gestures, intimidating or threatening behaviour, hate mail and abusive name calling in person or online.

Gay and bisexual men, including trans-men, unfortunately remain the targets of hate crime; however, many are unwilling to report these incidents. Sexual Health Service and Police Scotland are dedicated to improving their responses to these issues and are committed to working with individuals affected to improve responses, including supporting more people to report.

Police Scotland takes hate crime very seriously and encourages members of all communities to report incidents to the police. Even if what happened does not amount to a crime they will still record it for information and future reference.

There are a number of ways to make it easier for you to report hate crime to the police.  The following methods of reporting will not provide an immediate response and are for non-emergency situations:

• Phoning the police – non-emergency number 101

• Go to your local police station

• Report to a police officer in the street

• Report hate crime online

• Report anonymously – call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111

• Use 3rd Party Reporting Service like Sexual Health Services

If it is an emergency and police attendance is immediately required to prevent injury to any person or to arrest offenders for a serious offence then dial 999.

What is 3rd Party Reporting?

3rd party reporting allows members of the public to report hate crimes in a positive, confidential and supportive environment without speaking to an officer directly.  A report can be made by attending a “3rd Party Reporting Centre” and reporting the crime to a member of staff there. Sexual Health Services are trained in 3rd Party Reporting.

Remember: if the matter is urgent always call 999!